The history of this jewelry house dates back to 1837. Then Charles Lewis Tiffany, along with John Young at the central shopping street of New York, on Broadway, opened a small stationery store called “Tiffany, Young and Ellis.” By the way, the street retained its appointment today. Numerous jewelery shops, as well as offices of large international companies, are here, you can buy gifts and souvenirs.
Business partners at first brought a ridiculous profit – revenue for the first day in general was only $ 5. But gradually the company began to acquire its own style and attributes. Already in the same year, 1837, branded packaging began to be produced, as well as promotional materials in the form of cards, brochures, boxes. At the same time for these products was chosen a special color – a special turquoise shade of blue. He is still the visiting card of the jewelry house “Tiffany & Co.” So the blue package or a box invisibly signal that inside there are certainly exquisite and high-quality jewelry with the logo of the brand.
And in 1845 the company released its first brand catalog. Since then it has become a tradition. In such catalogs every year there are new and new solutions in the form of jewelry made of platinum, gold or silver. This publication was called the Blue Book.
In 1851, the world began to form a strong interest in jewelry and silver jewelry. This process could not go unnoticed by the company. Moreover, it was the first in America to use a sample in the production of its silver jewelry 925, the remaining 75 parts of 1000 units of mass were made of other metals (copper and zinc). This gave the jewelry necessary hardness, because in itself pure silver is too soft. Thus, for the production of silver jewelry, the company began to adhere to the sterling standard, that is, the silver content was 92.5%.
A modern name, “Tiffany & Co.”, appeared in 1853. The addition came from one of the co-founders, Charles Lewis Tiffany. After all, he soon became the sole owner of the company. Seeing that big changes are coming, Lewis ordered the installation of a huge statue of the mythical Atlas hero over the entrance to the store. At the same time he did not restrain the Earth, as the legend said, but according to the will of the owner of the company, it was a watch. The name of Atlas was named and a collection of silver and gold jewelry. This line has become a classic, enjoying success and still. The use of 925 silver continued in this case. It is worth noting and unusually stylized Roman figures on products from the “Tiffany”.
And in 1861, life brought Charles to the first President of the country, Abraham Lincoln. The fact is that the jewelry house received an order to create a necklace of pearls for the wife of the politician. So gold and silver jewelry from the “Tiffany” are becoming fashionable in their respective circles. With the beginning of 1862, the company “Tiffany & Co.” chose the side of the northerners, supplying the army with weapons, in particular sabers, as well as a medical tool. And after the end of hostilities, Charles begins to produce jewels decorated with gems, weapons sabers, daggers. These real pieces of jewelry art enjoyed success among the top military commanders of the American Army.
In 1867, the international exhibition Universelle was held in Paris. It was represented by many trading and jewelry houses, firms that produced gold and silver jewelry. Against this background, the company Tiffany & Co markedly stood out for its original products. It is no coincidence that the jewelry house even received an award at this exhibition. This was the growth and formation of the company, its recognition as a trendsetter and a standard of taste in the part of silver models of 925 tests.
And in 1871 the company introduced the collection of silverware Audubon, in it the main leitmotif of steel was stylized Japanese images.This collection of products in the form of dishes and tableware from silver of 925 tests was so popular with consumers that it is still one of the best-selling collection of silverware from Tiffany.
In 1873, the Boston Museum of Fine Arts even purchased a pitcher from Tiffany & Co. in its collection, paying tribute to the perfection of this subject. This was only the first event of its kind. Today in the world many different museums and trading houses have unique silver or other metal ware from this jewelry house. This is not surprising, because many such samples can really be considered works of art. Owners can also be proud that they have one of the masterpieces from “Tiffany & Co.”
In 1877 in South Africa in the mines in Kimberley found a huge pure yellow diamond weighing 250 carats. The following year, the famous gemologist Kuntz undertook to limit the unusual stone for the jewelry house “Tiffany & Co.”. He succeeded, and the real jewel of the miracle, the diamond “Tiffany”, appeared. His weight was more than 150 carats, and the number of faces was unusually high – 90. The stone is so fascinating with the light, which brings to the awe of those who see it for the first time. Such a gift the jeweler made to the house of “Tiffany & Co.” in memory of cooperation.
And in 1885 the company left its mark on the history of the US monetary system and the country’s finances. It turns out that the jewelry house was working on some minor details of the state press. In relation to precious stones, “Tiffany & Co.” is conducting an offensive campaign. For example, in 1887, many jewels and ornaments were bought in France. Since that time, the company has established a loud title “King of Diamonds”. So the jewelry house received a famous diamond brilliance, and the head of the company became a legislator not only in the world of silver, but also among jewelery with diamonds and jewelry.
In 1902, the son of Charles Tiffany, Louis Comfort, inside the House opened a new unit. It was named “Tiffany Art Jewelry”, the goal was to promote and develop innovative products in the field of jewelry. The business started 60 years ago required development, which his son could realize in the future. He increased the glory of the company with his glass lampshades, stained glass and costume jewelery. And his collection of jewelry and glassware in general adorned the Metropolitan Museum in New York.
It is interesting that until 1907 there was no single and precise system for measuring gemstones at all. Each country had its own metric system for evaluating rubies, diamonds, emeralds. But thanks to the main gemologist “Tiffany”, Mr. Kuntz in the United States was introduced a single system for weighing such stones. It was called “carat”. In the standard of “Tiffany”, this unit is 200 milligrams. Despite the small amount, even a one-carat diamond is very expensive. This is due to the fact that the diamond itself has a low density, which causes a slight weight of stones.
The strength of the jewelry house was that he never stopped at what he had achieved, resorting to fresh ideas. He was constantly the main engine of jewelry fashion in the United States, as well as everything related to jewelery and precious stones. In 1926, the House obtained from the government of the country the adoption of a standard for the purity of platinum. Since then, RT 950 has become the rule for all jewelers.
In the 1950s, Tiffany gained worldwide fame, thanks to the story of Truman Kapota’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s. A film with the same name with Audrey Hepburn in the title role only strengthened the brand’s fame. A charming girl was wearing a diamond necklace from Tiffany.
Throughout the last century, the company “Tiffany & Co.” knew both ups and downs. A significant decline was replaced by an upswing, caused, among other things, by a change in the political situation. Experiments within the company generate new directions.For example, “Tiffany” began to produce designer iron front doors, which resulted in an independent business project. Since the late 80’s, the jewelry brand “Tiffany & Co.” has again become one of the most famous in the world. The secrets of success are the same – the elegant design of products and successful marketing moves.