The most terrible medical errors

Turning to doctors, you hope that they will not make a mistake. Meanwhile, these are the most ordinary people who, in their work as well as all others, make mistakes. Only here the consequences are rather terrible and the price is much higher. A person can eventually lose his health, or even life.

Amputation of a healthy limb? Introduction instead of medication foreign matter? This is not horror stories and gossip, but real cases.

In medical practice, there is something in which you do not immediately believe. At the same time, even the most highly qualified specialists in expensive and advanced clinics are mistaken. We will tell about the most terrible medical mistakes.

The most terrible medical errors

Another leg.

Few people can assume that an experienced doctor will suddenly mix up left and right. But that’s exactly what happened to the surgeon from Tampa, Florida. In 1995, during the operation, he was supposed to amputate his right leg to his 52-year-old patient Willie King. When he woke up after anesthesia, he found that his aching limb was in place, but the left one was missing! The patient was tried to be comforted by the fact that she was not well and she would have been amputated anyway. King sued the hospital, won the case and received $ 900,000 in compensation from the clinic itself and 250,000 from the inattentive doctor. In addition, the surgeon was deprived of his license for six months.

The most terrible medical errors

Not the right eye.

This monstrous mistake of the doctor occurred 120 years ago. In 1892, 10-year-old Thomas Stewart lost his eye as a result of an accident. The boy accidentally stumbled on a knife, which caused a partial loss of vision. The doctor Alexander Prudfoot was summoned to help, who quickly decided that the damaged eye should be urgently removed. At the conclusion of this operation, the surgeon suddenly discovered that instead of a sick eye he had removed a healthy one.

The most terrible medical errors

Incorrect irradiation.

It is not necessary to consider irradiation as harmful. Of course, it often damages health, leading to death. However, medicine uses radiation and for the treatment of cancer. But, like any other medicine, it should be used very carefully and in the right doses. With irradiation, the patient was not lucky with Jerome Parks. He had a cancer of the tongue, but the computer gave the wrong direction for irradiation. As a result, the patient was irradiated with a healthy neck and a stem part of the brain. “Treatment” lasted three days. The patient as a result quickly lost sight, hearing, the ability to swallow. When the error was discovered, no one could save Jerome, he soon passed away.

The most terrible medical errors

Disinfectant instead of medicine.

This story is an extra reason to read the inscriptions on the labels of medicines. At one medical center in Virginia, Mason followed this rule not as often as she followed. As a result, the patient Mary McClinton was not introduced a medicine, but a means for disinfecting medical instruments. This caused the death of a 69-year-old woman, the hospital has become much more strict about the designation and sorting of medicines.

The most terrible medical errors

Forgotten napkin.

Stories forgotten in the belly of the patient things, unfortunately, are not so rare for doctors. In 2007, an Indian woman Sabnam Pravin experienced a joyful event – she had a son. A child was born as a result of Caesarean section. However, the joy did not last long, the woman soon felt ill. Sabnam began to complain of abdominal pain. Doctors for three years could not understand the cause of the patient’s malaise. In the end, she was on the operating table at the Chattisgarh Institute of Medicine. It turned out that the surgeon who took delivery was very inconsiderate – in the abdomen of the patient he forgot a napkin. In history it remained unclear whether the poor woman received any material compensation. But Donald Church managed to make a mistake on the doctors 97 thousand dollars. A similar story happened to him. When he was operated in 2000 in the Washington Medical Center, a surgical instrument 31 centimeters long was “forgotten” in the abdomen.

The most terrible medical errors

Food in the lungs.

An elderly 79-year-old patient from a San Francisco clinic, Eugene Riggs, suffered from a diverticular disease. He could not imagine that he would die in hospitals not because of this illness, but because of the monstrous gaffe of doctors. Disease Eugene did not allow him to eat enough of the natural way. The doctors decided that the food could be delivered to the patient’s stomach through a special tube. However, it was entered incorrectly. As a result, the food began to flow not into the stomach of the patient, but into his lungs. The error was quickly detected, but it was not possible to correct the consequences. A few months later, Riggs died due to complications. His wife sued the government, because under US law against hospitals and military doctors, lawsuits can not be brought.

The most terrible medical errors

Not the same father.

A married couple, Thomas and Nancy Andrews, could not conceive of a second child naturally for a long time. That’s why they turned to the Center for Reproductive Medicine in New York. There, the couple were offered IVF, in vitro fertilization, which implies artificial conception in a test tube. Soon the long-awaited pregnancy really came. The spouses were in the seventh heaven with happiness. But when the child was born, the parents were very surprised. The skin and hair of the girl, named Jessica, were much darker than that of the father and mother. It turned out that this phenomenon was not a whim of nature, but a mistake of doctors. This was confirmed by a DNA test that showed that not Thomas Andrews is the biological father of the child, but some other man. His semen was mistakenly used for artificial insemination.

The most terrible medical errors

Evil doctor.

There is ample evidence that doctors should not be angry. Roman Nelu Radonescu was not lucky, he had to deal with a nervous doctor. A 36-year-old man was sent to an operation to correct the irregular structure of the testicles. And because of the medical error, he did not have a member at all. At the same time, Dr. Naum Chomu did not confuse the penis with the testicles at all. Just during the operation, he accidentally touched the urethra of the patient, which made him angry. In a rabies the doctor cut off his patient member, besides also cutting it into small pieces. The unfortunate patient was forced to sue. The authorities decided to oblige Chom to pay the patient an operation to restore the member with the use of skin from the hand. In addition, the nervous doctor was deprived of a medical license and paid moral damage to his injured patient.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

We recommend reading a new article. Open
Found a mistake in the text, or other problem? Please let us know. Thanks. Leave a review
x