Although life goes on quickly, art does not die. This is also true for jewelry. States arise and disintegrate, the people who created them leave. Diamonds do not disappear, they simply change their owners, traveling around the world.
This article will tell you about diamonds, the most famous in the world. Let some of them and lost, the rest are in the windows of fashion stores or hidden from public views in private collections.
However, the whole world knows about the existence of each of these diamonds because to hide the existence of such majestic jewelry is not so easy. Our list is not just a list of diamonds according to their size, but also a rating by color, shape and, of course, our own unique history.
The Golden Jubilee.
This creation of nature today is the world’s largest polished diamond, weighing 545.67 carats. Found a stone was in South Africa, and the stone was bounded by the notorious Gaby Tolkowski. This diamond has a yellow-brown color and for a long time was called “Nameless Brown”. However, in 1997 the stone was purchased as a gift for the Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej at his “golden”, 50th anniversary of the reign. Then an invaluable diamond and got its present name, and its price remained a mystery.
Second place in the rating of the diamond “Cullinan”. The initial weight of the stone was a record 3106 carats and it was found on January 27, 1905 in South Africa. The name of the diamond was given in honor of Sir Thomas Cullinan, who founded the Premier mine, owned by DeBeers, where a find was found. The gem was bought for a million dollars by the government of the local republic of Transvaal and then presented to the English king Edward VII. This was done as a gratitude for granting the former colony rights of self-government at the end of the Anglo-Boer War. In 1908, the stone was split into several pieces by the jewelers of the Dutch company Asher. The largest part was “Cullinan” in 530.2 carats, also received the name “Big Star of Africa”. To date, the diamond is the decoration of the scepter of Edward VII, which is stored in the Tower of London and is part of the royal treasures of England. Jewelers can estimate the stone only approximately, it costs about 400 million dollars, but, naturally, it is not for sale.
A diamond with the name “Incomparable” was found in the early 80s of the 20th century in the town of Mbuji-Ma’iv in Congo. The weight of the find was 890 carats. The stone was cut by a whole team of jewelers led by Marvin Samuels. As a result, the weight of the largest diamond was 407.48 carats. It was this piece that was called such a great name. The owners tried to sell the diamond several times, first at the auction of Christie’s, and then on Ebay. However, buyers for a unique stone costing $ 15 million for some reason was not found.
July 17, 1986 in the South African mine Premier was found a diamond, called “Centennial.” The untreated stone weighed 599.1 carats. The find was timed to coincide with the celebration of the centennial of DeBeers, the world’s largest diamond miner. The diamond was cut by the jeweler Gabi Tolkowski for almost three years. And the result came out appropriate – “Centennial” diamond has an impeccable grinding and perfect purity. Now it weighs already 273.85 carats. The jewel was insured in May 1991 for more than $ 100 million. Today, the diamond is part of the jewels of the British crown and is in the Tower of London.
In 1895, a unique 650.8 carat diamond was found at the Jagersfontein mine in South Africa. The find quickly became the property of the association of London traders in precious stones, which included companies such as Wernher, Beit & Co, Barnato Bros. and Mosenthal Sons & Co.As a result, the light appeared diamond Jubilee, also known as the Reitz Diamond, and its weight was 245.35 carats. This name was given to the stone in honor of President Francis William Reitz, in the possession of which the find was made. However, the diamond was renamed in honor of the 60th anniversary of the coronation of the British Queen Victoria. Now the jewel is in the collection of Robert Mouad, being a real diamond of the whole collection.
The De Beers.
In 1888, De Beers was just preparing to be born, and a rare diamond was already found in the mines. A light yellow jewel weighed 428.5 carats. After polishing, it decreased almost twice and began to weigh 234.65 carats. Brilliant De Beers is one of the ten largest in the world. In 1889, the stone made a splash at the World Exhibition in Paris and was purchased by Maharaja Rajendra Singh. For a long time, the stone was not set in the rim at all, perhaps the ruler wore it in a turban. In 1925, the Maharaja appeared in Paris with a bunch of precious stones, wishing to create a unique necklace, the adornment of which was to become this giant diamond. 3 years of Master Cartier worked on an unusual ornament, called “Patella’s Necklace” However, in the 50’s, England refused princes in tax breaks and they began to sell their jewelry. Among the jewelry sold was a necklace, along with a diamond. Although the necklace itself was accidentally discovered in London in 1998, the diamond of De Beers was lost. Most likely, he decorates someone’s private collection.
The Millennium Star.
If you can only imagine the most perfect diamond, extremely clean, then it will be the “Star of Millenium.” The stone was found in the Congo in the 80s of the 20th century. In the turbulent time of the civil war, De Beers company took a stroll and acquired a jewel. Jewelers processed the stone for three years with a laser. The result was a pear-shaped diamond weighing 203 carats, presented in London on the eve of 2000. One of the experts in the world of precious stones, Harry Oppenhaer, bluntly stated that the De Beers Millennium Star is the most beautiful diamond ever seen by humans. It was the “Millennium Star” that was the main specimen of the De Beers Millennium Diamond Collection. The original diamond weighed 777 carats and was cut into three parts, the largest of which became the “Star”. For diamond cutting, even a special operating theater was built, which, in terms of equipment and cleanliness, resembled a medical analog.
There are quite a few myths and legends about the origin of the Orlov diamond. According to one of them, the stone was once the eye of Vishnu, the Indian god. However, a British deserter was able to steal this stone from the temple in the early 18th century. After that, the diamond survived a whole series of adventures, replacing the succession of owners. But he fell into the hands of Grigory Orlov, who decided to acquire a stone, as soon as he learned of its existence. The jewel was purchased by the Count in Amsterdam in 1773, but not for himself, but for his beloved Empress Catherine II. Then the Indian stone costs 90 thousand rubles, and the name of the new owner was transferred to him. However, the stone did not bring Orlov happiness – the Empress did not like it, but she left the diamond all the same. He was able to decorate the scepter of Catherine. However, historians claim that the diamond did not buy the diamond, the deal was made by the empress herself for public money, which came up with a story in order to absolve herself of charges of dishonesty. Brilliant “Orlov” – a rarity, because it retained its original shape, and its color is very beautiful – transparent, but with a slight green-blue tint. Today the stone is located in the Diamond Fund, its weight is 189.62 carats, and initially it weighed about 400 carats and could be part of the famous diamond “The Great Mogul”.
According to legend, in 1698 an Indian slave found a large, 410 carat diamond at the Golcondi mine. To hide the find the slave had to cut his thigh and hide it under the bandage. The slave decided to buy his freedom at the price of a jewel. However, the English sailor took possession of the stone and killed the former owner. Diamond after that was sold for £ 1000 to the Governor of Fort St. George. In 1717, the owner of the diamond was Philip II of Orleans, who bought it for King Louis XV. Since then, the stone has become known as the “Regent”. He becomes a companion of French kings, decorating the crowns of Louis XV, XVI and Marie Antoinette. During the French Revolution of 1792, the treasures were looted, but the diamond was soon found. The republican government soon laid the “Regent” wealthy Moscow merchant Treskova, but the stone was bought back already by Napoleon, who ordered him to send it to the hilt of his sword. In 1886, the diamond was finally bought out for 6 million francs for the Louvre – there was a sale of treasures of the French crown.
The Premier Rose.
The famous South African mine Premier gave another amazing finding – in 1978 a diamond was found weighing 353.9 carats. The co-owners of the precious stone were immediately two companies – Mouw Diamond Cutting (Johannesburg) and William Goldberg (New York). His name itself consists of two parts. The first is just the same mine in which the find was made. The second, “Rose” – the name of the wife of the South African co-owner of the stone. And in this case, the stone was polished by a whole team of jewelers. As a result, a diamond appeared in the form of a peach, weighing 137.02 carats. In 1979, he was put up for sale, the jewel was purchased for $ 10 million by a person who wished to remain anonymous. However, recently the diamond surfaced in the collection of the famous collector Robert Mouad.
The Tiffany Yellow Diamond.
This diamond is one of the yellow ones, being one of its largest representatives. Diamond was discovered in 1878 at the Kimberley mine in South Africa. It was polished in standard round shape, and the weight of “Tiffany” was 128.5 carats. Brilliant was dressed only twice. For the first time this happened during the “Bal Tiffany” in Newport. Then it was worn by the queen of ball Sheldon Whitehouse. Another woman who wore a diamond was Audrey Hepburn. Currently, the jewel belongs to the company Tiffany & Co, which was bought immediately after the find for 18 thousand dollars. The diamond is on display in the showcase of the brand store in New York.
Many people associate the word “Kohinur” or “Kohinoor” with the mark of pencils, meanwhile it is one of the most famous diamonds. Its history can be traced back to 1304, but legends claim that the stone was found much, much earlier. It is said that “Kohinur” was found in the 3rd millennium BC. in South India in the famous Golcondi mines. From his first owners, it is possible to note the Indian legendary hero Karna, whose exploits are described in the Mahabharata. For a long time, the diamond was adorned with the turban of the rulers of the ancient state of Malva. There was a legend according to which, when a stone falls from a turban of rajas, the whole people will become slaves. Actually, it happened in 1304, when Malva was conquered by the Sultan Ala-ad-Din. Among the other trophies he got and Kohinur. Until the 19th century, some rulers took over the stone, but others found it, but here it was in England. Then its owner was the mighty East India Company. Soon the entrepreneurs presented “Kohinur” as a gift to Queen Victoria, since 1851 he is in London. Until then, the stone still retained its ancient Indian cut, Victoria wore it as a brooch. However, after the death of the queen, the diamond fell into the treasury of the British court and was soldered into the crown of the king. In 1862, he was re-decorated, which was led by the royal miner, John Pennant. He gave the diamond a flat shape.Stone processing reduced its weight from 191 to 108.9 carats. Many have criticized this step, their doubts are clear – the diamond has lost some of its historical value.
The diamond has become famous all over the world thanks to its stellar masters. In 1972, the stone was purchased by Richard Barton for his wife, Elizabeth Taylor, at an auction. One of the requirements was that the new owner of the stone would give him his name. A diamond weighing 69.42 carats was carved out of stone, found all in the same Premier mine. The diamond was bought by jewelers from Cartier, who decorated them with a diamond necklace. It was in the company’s store that Barton saw the future gift. After all, his wife was so fond of diamonds … But the journey of the stone did not stop there. A divorce couple star struck, and in 1978 Elizabeth put out a diamond for auction, saying that she would give some of the money she received on the construction of a hospital in Botswana. The stone was sold for almost $ 3 million. The current owner is again Robert Mowad, who restricted the stone, reducing his weight by 1 carat. The stone is supposedly located in Saudi Arabia.
This pale yellow diamond weighs 55.23 carats, it comes from India. And about this stone there is a legend, which for many, many years. The first most reliable information about him dates back to 1570, when a French citizen of Sancy bought a diamond in Constantinople. So he got a stone name for his first European owner. However, according to other information, Sancy was not at all the ambassador of France to Turkey, he was the courtier of Henry III. When he was bald and began to use the beret, he began to wear a diamond borrowed from a nobleman on this headdress. After this, the journey of a diamond across the world began. In 1605, Sancy sold the stone to the English King James I. Half a century later, the diamond passed to Cardinal Mazarin, and after his death, like the whole diamond collection, he moved to the Bourbons. In the time of the French Revolution, the needy means of the Convent sold the “Sansi” to the Spanish Marquis for a million francs. In 1828 the stone again changed its owner – it was Nikolai Demidov, a representative of the glorious family of the Ural industrialists. Then the stone was in the possession of an American diplomat, a British nobleman … But in 1978 the diamond returned to France – it was bought by the Louvre for 1 million dollars. Today, “Sancy” adorns the museum’s collection with its other well-known fellows – Regent and Hortense.
The Blue Hope.
It is the most famous blue steel diamond, its weight is 45.52 carats. It is with him associated the greatest number of legends, than with any other diamond. It is distinguished not only by the magnitude and rich blue color, it is said that this stone is damned. For a long time there was a mystical belief that anyone who becomes a master of a beautiful stone will pursue misfortune, but in the end awaits a mysterious death. A large diamond of unusual sapphire-blue color was found in India, on the outskirts of Golcondi. His first owner was a French traveler and merchant Jean Baptiste Tavernier. Soon the jewel was sold to King Louis XIV in 1669. Diamond began to officially call the “Blue Diamond of the Crown,” however the name quickly declined to “French Blue.” In order for the stone to shine better, it was limited, giving a heart shape, soon it was given the traditional shape of a “pillow”, its weight was 67 carats. In the troubled times of the French Revolution, the diamond was abducted, but was discovered in 1824 in the collection of Henry Philip Hope, in honor of which he received the current name. The stone changed its shape and weight, but experts agreed that it was a descendant of a famous stone. Then the stone and began to bring misfortune – all members of the Hope family died in poverty.Today, “Blue Hope” is located in the Museum of Natural History Smithsonian Institute, which is in Washington, and its approximate cost is not less than 200 million dollars. There he was transferred as a gift to his last owner, Harry Winston.
The name of the diamond literally means “the sea of light”, it is named by analogy with “Kohinur”. Its weight is 182 carats, it is believed that this is the largest and most beautiful diamond from the collection of Iranian shahs. According to legend, Derianur was part of a large diamond, later divided into three parts. Other fragments were Kohinur or “mountain of light,” and Hindinur is “the light of India.” However, despite the Persians’ belief that the diamond once belonged to Cyrus, in fact it was mined in the mines of Golconda and was taken by Nadir Shah in 1739. Perhaps he was part of a larger diamond. For a long time, the stone was among the treasures of the Persian shahs. He was worn on a galloon and a turban, along with rulers he traveled, including in Europe. Now the diamond is kept in the Central Bank of Iran.
This stone is one of the most famous in European history, now it, unfortunately, is lost. It was a light yellow diamond with a greenish tint, and weighed about 137 carats. The first “Florentine” saw Tavernier, who noticed an unusual diamond in the Florentine treasury of the Dukes of the Medici. After the extinction of the dynasty, the jewel passed to the Habsburgs. In 1918 they were overthrown, in the course of the turmoil the stone disappeared. Rumors say that the diamond was sent to America and split into several smaller ones. The legends around the “Florentines” revolve around the way the stone got to the Medici. According to one of them, the stone would be bargained out by the Portuguese from the Maharaja in exchange for land, then already hitting Italy, where it was cut. Another version says that the diamond was cut in 1475 by Louis van Burken for Charles the Bold. After his death, the stone was taken over by a Swiss soldier, who sold it for nothing. Through the Genoese, the diamond was at Sforza, having replaced several owners, including Julius II, the stone was found by the Medici.
The weight of this stone is of Indian origin 88.7 carats. Although it has a slight yellowish-brown hue, it is distinguished by its impeccable transparency. Once a stone was worn as a talisman, on it there is a deep groove. The diamond engraved the names of its three famous owners with dates – Nizmah Shah (1591), Shah Jahan (1641) and Fath-Ali Shah (1826). Most likely the stone was discovered in the mines of Golconda in the distant XVI century. Tavernier describes that the diamond was suspended from the throne of the Great Moguls so that the lord would always see him in front of him. In 1829 the diamond came to Russia. After the assassination of Ambassador Griboyedov, the Persians sought every possible way to avoid diplomatic complications with a powerful neighbor. In addition to the rich gifts brought to St. Petersburg, Nicholas I was presented with a famous diamond, engraved inscriptions on three sides. Now the stone is stored in the Diamond Fund.