Mold



Mold appeared on our planet more than 200 million years ago. This variety of microorganisms is omnipresent. Man has never learned to win it, but sometimes he uses it for his own good. In people, mold is called simply a fungus. Actually, this is microscopic fungi, very toxic.

Mold spores are invisible, which allows them to spread everywhere. When creating favorable conditions, the fungus will actively multiply.


Among those who encountered mold infection, there are many myths about this fungus. Only here they have little to do with reality. After all, mold can appear not only on the walls, but even on our food. Mold is not at all hazardous to health.

Some people consider mold just an ugly fungus, not seeing the danger in it. And this myth is only strengthened thanks to the careless employees of housing and operational offices. They tell people that the moldy walls in their houses are not dangerous. But you can not believe this in any case. After all, in the sanitary and epidemiological norms there is a list of types of molds, and the diseases that they cause.

Maximum, than mold is threatened – a small rhinitis.

Actually, these fungi belong to the III-IV group of pathogenic microorganisms. It is harmful both by inhalation and by simple contact with the skin. The result can be, as allergic reactions of a wide spectrum (rhinitis, bronchitis, asthma, dermatitis), and deep injuries of internal organs.

Because of mold, cancer can develop.

There is no scientific evidence that mold can provoke cancer. The connection between them is possible only indirectly – through interaction on the immune system.

Only black mold is dangerous.

In those rooms where dampness has been experienced (this may result from flooding or leakage), different kinds of molds with different properties may develop. For a person, they are all to a different degree harmful. Nevertheless, this very manifestation is the reason to sound the alarm. Live in premises with mold it is impossible! Especially it concerns children, the elderly, and also persons with chronic diseases.

There should not be a single mold spore in the air at all.

The air environment that surrounds us is originally a source of mold spores. So in the background, their presence is normal. Completely get rid of them is impossible, and it is not necessary. It is only necessary to know that as soon as favorable conditions are formed (usually it is humidity), then a small number of disputes will immediately start reproducing quickly.

To avoid disputes in the apartment, you have to use an ultraviolet lamp at home.

In itself, the use of such radiation sources is quite dangerous for humans. After all, these lamps form free radicals in the air. The use of ultraviolet is acceptable for medical institutions, but not permanently for an apartment. To get rid of individual disputes there is no sense, especially since they will appear after the accompanying radiation exposure. And it itself is much more effective in influencing viruses and bacteria. In many fungal spores, the cell walls are fairly thick, which allows them to protect themselves from ultraviolet radiation. So it will be more correct to just keep the house at home with the right microclimate and avoid waterlogging of materials and appearance on condensate surfaces.

If the mold one day appears in the apartment, then it will not be able to remove it.

There is nothing supernatural about getting rid of mold that has appeared in the house. Preliminary it is necessary to get advice from mycologists about how many contaminated materials should be removed and which antiseptics it will be better to use when processing surfaces. Another option is the services of specialists who specialize in the removal of mold. They will even give a guarantee on their work. It is worth remembering that not all anti-mold preparations from those that are presented in construction shops will be effective.Really there are only 2-3 means, really reliably removing the mold and not allowing it to reappear. It would be naive to think that there is some kind of remedy that will protect the house from mold forever, despite all possible cataclysms. Even the best quality antiseptics decompose over time, a strong water leakage will simply wash them. Yes, and in the apartment, some particularly strong funds are simply forbidden to apply because of their high toxicity.

Mold

If you fill the mold with finishing materials, then there will be no harm from it.

This myth is very dangerous, because it understates the danger of mold. But the fungal spores are so small that they can penetrate even the smallest gaps. This will allow them to infect the air in the apartment and create the most dangerous microclimate for allergy sufferers. Do not think that it will be possible to mason the mold once and for all. In this condition, under the finishing materials, it will be in free conditions, in a kind of incubator. There, the fungus will grow and eventually eventually get out. Few people know that mold can decompose and destroy not only organic materials, but even metal, plastic, glass, concrete, brick and ceramics. Mold under the finishing materials will create a specific musty smell, which will result from the production of volatile organic substances. But in fact these ketones and aldehydes are harmful to humans.

Mold can not appear for a week.

Mold fungi grow quite quickly, especially against the background of an abundance of moisture. If there was an accident – a leak, flood, fire, the mold can appear on the walls after 5-7 days, unless the room is not thoroughly dried. In addition, modern decoration materials (drywall, vinyl, plastic) interfere with the rapid drying of the premises. As a result, under the wall and floor coverings for 1-3 weeks after getting there moisture almost always develops invisible man mold, the infection is of a massive nature.

If there is no smell of mold, then there is no mold itself.

And this myth is also cultivated by employees of housing and operational offices. After all, you can justify your inaction and lull the vigilance of tenants after the accidents and bays of apartments. But the appearance and development of mold is not always accompanied by the appearance of a characteristic musty smell. Everything depends on the duration and degree of damage, on the appearance of the fungus.

If the mold is treated with an antiseptic, its residues can no longer be removed.

This myth is also dangerous, because even after treatment with an antiseptic, the mold spores retain toxic and allergenic properties. Allergenic fungus has little to do with its viability, here play the role of those components that are included in the composition of mold cells. That’s why you need to completely remove mold-damaged building materials – wallpaper, paint, putty, plaster and plasterboard.

The best remedy for mold is copper sulfate.

This tool has long been an anachronism in the fight against mold. Kuporos is a toxic compound of heavy metal. In large quantities, it is simply dangerous for human life. And it takes a lot of copper vitriol, so that he really beat mold. Today there are much more effective and safe means, allowing to resist the fungus.

Mold can appear and a year after flooding the apartment.

If the apartment is quickly dried after a flood and within a couple of months there are no signs of mold, its appearance in a year will be due to other reasons. It is important to remember that mold can quickly appear not only on a damp surface.

After the flood the mold can “migrate” from its neighbors.

If a strong flood touches several apartments or floors, it is likely that mildew may occur everywhere, and may not simultaneously occur. Then in every apartment she will most likely appear independently. After all, there are many internal sources that are “shot” under the influence of humidity.Soaked ceilings, walls and floor will make themselves felt. It can not be denied that if near the apartment for many months and even years there is a heavily contaminated housing, then the mold can germinate from there. But in the event of accidents do not blame the neighbors. After all, mold spores always invisibly close to us, and humidity will quickly help them sprout.

Mold

You can eat foods if you remove mold from them.

This question should be approached with extreme caution. It all depends on the variety of mold. If we talk about the fungus that affects meat, bakery or confectionery products, as well as fruits, vegetables, cereals and nuts, it produces toxins that penetrate very deeply into the product. The use of such food, even after a superficial purification from mold, can lead to poisoning of the body and damage to human health. But the cheese affected by the mold can be consumed, but you will have to remove the layer not less than a centimeter thick. Also suitable for food jam, jelly and jam, if you remove a couple of centimeters of the affected layer. Is it worth taking such a risk?




Add a Comment